Okra Eggplant Curry
Though okra is very nutritious, I have detested it forever, until Mike discovered a way to make it not so slimy, by baking it in the oven before adding it to the dish.This dish has now become my FAV curry!
Okra ~ 1 lb. frozen
Eggplant ~ 1 medium chopped into 1/4 ‘ cubes
Zucchini (optional) ~ chopped into 1/4 ” cubes
Onion ~ 1 large chopped
Tomato ~ 2 medium chopped
Green chili ~ 2 chopped or 4 small chopped
Fresh ginger ~ 1 ” cube peeled, grated
Garlic ~ 4 cloves chopped
Cumin seeds ~ 2 tsp.
Cumin powder ~ 1 tsp.
Coriander powder ~ 1 tsp.
Chili powder ~ 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder ~ 1/2 tsp.
Safflower oil ~ 2 Tbsp.
Salt to taste
1. Place okra on flat baking sheet and heat in 250 degree oven about 20 minutes while completing the next couple of steps
2. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in large skillet
3. Add cumin seeds. When they begin to sputter add chopped onions.
4. Add turmeric powder, fresh grated ginger, and garlic.
5. Stir for 1 minute and then add eggplant and chilies.
6. Continue sauteing and add 1/2 cup water if it sticks.
7. After 5 minutes, add coriander powder, cumin powder, chili powder, tomatoes, zucchini and okra.
8. Saute for 3 more minutes, add salt to taste, correct seasoning as needed; cover and cook on low heat for about 5 more minutes for flavors to meld.
9. Remove from heat.
10 Serve with crisp poppadom and coriander chutney.